Diagnosed with mono. Feeling tired, sore and achy. Will it safe to go for school?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi Dr. Christensen,
Hey, my 10 year old daughter has been diagnosed with mono. Of course, she is very tired as well as sore and achy. Would you send her to school or keep her home for rest? Unfortunately, she has end of the marking period testing to do this week. I am willing to bring her in to get the imp. test finished.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is a tricky situation!!"
Fatigue and malaise are features of this disease.
You mention that she is sick, tired and has malaise.
In this case of acute stage of the disease , rest is better.
Even if she attends the test, her performance may not be the expected one!

You can discuss with the school and show the medical certificate!
Even the school will be happy to to retest her at a later date,as he will be infective now!

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma