Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with mastocytosis. Blood and urine test done. What should I do next?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
hi, i have been told by my skin specialist (confirmed by a skin biopsy) that i have Mastocytosis.... also i have had a blood test for Trypaste... level was 24.5........waiting on 24hr urine test to come back...... what do you think my next move should be? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, there are many diseases associated with mastocytosis. Most common is the urticaria pigmentosa. It is the cutaneous mastocytosis. You are suffering from this disease.

Here, apart from doing tests for mast cell enzymes in blood and urine, you have to undergo a systemic mastocytosis. In case of systemic mastocytosis, a complete blood count should be done for search of mast cells in peripheral blood. In that case, immunofluorescence study should be performed for detection of character of these mast cells.

So, you have to consult with your treating doctor about the bone marrow biopsy. It is your next move.

Regarding the treatment, helpful medicines are antihistamines, leukotriene inhibitors, corticosteroids, mast cell stabilizer. But, a particular drug should be chosen depending on your clinical profile. So, you have to consult with your treating doctor about this.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor