Diagnosed with lumbar spondylitis. Suggest treatment without surgery

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Question: HI, I was diagnosed with Lumbar Spondylitis last year April..and have taken some physiotherapy and then Ayurveda treatment and continuing with Yoga therapy. Keeping me going is Yoga. But i Want to get the thorn out of my system.. how can i do that without surgery?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Posture maintainence and if required MRI. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Most probable reason for your symptoms could be postural problem as you may be sitting for long time. I will advise you to do MRI spine to see for any disc bulge or spinal canal stenosis.And also check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Medication like methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain. You can continue yoga exercises and focus on spine extension exercises. Some exercises which can be done include- Spine extension exercises, Lying on your stomach flat lift leg 6 inches from ground, do it for other leg. Now lift both hand and leg simultaneously, 6 inch off the ground and stay Position for around 10 breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case. If not relieved you can take epidural injection. You can cure disease by doing all modalities with balancing your posture habits. Hope this helps. Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.