Diagnosed with lipoma on back of body. Does it need removal as a precaution?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Question: My son (28) was diagnosed with a "lycoma" today. it is above the hip near side/back of body. The bump is not large. The doctor says no action needed. I get few results looking up online. Does it need removal as a precaution?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question. Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I believe the term that you are referring to is lipoma. A lipoma is a benign growth of fatty tissue. Generally these do not cause any problem and most of the time these are not surgically removed. If for some reason it becomes uncomfortable a surgical consultation can be requested and a minor procedure can be done to remove the fatty growth.

At the same time it is also a good idea to keep an eye on the area and if there are any changes this should be brought to the attention of the symptoms such as pain.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert