Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with lichen planus. Using cortisteriod cream. Noticed blisters on genital area. Cure?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
I am a 43 yr old male that has been diagnosed with lichen planus. I had an outbreak on my feet and wrists initially when diagnosed. I was prescribed a cortisteriod cream and eventually effected area subdued. I am now experiencing an outbreak in my genital area and have large blisters forming...some have popped as you would say and was wondering can these open sores trap or develop bacterial conditions that stem to other things during sexual intercourse with my wife?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX
I am very pleased to be able to assist you with your health query,

Blisters forming around the genitals could be as a result of herpes genitals or the lichen planus itself (but it primary lesion is usually papules which can blister or ulcerated).
Now to answer your question? Yes the open sores can get infected with bacterial (but usually the normal staph, strep or typical body bacteria) but hardly STDs (such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis etc) if your sexual partner is STD free. Given that they are open you risk developing an ulcer or an infected wound. So you will need the sores checked and appropriate treatment given so as to prevent any possible infections.

Hope this answers your question and if you got any further query, please feel free to write back.
Dr. Bernard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor