Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with kidney infection. What cure should be done for kidney injury from c-diff?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
In 2011 my husbands renal function was off very little. After tests he was told he had kidney disease but his number was 2.0 and they said that he could live like that for years without it going up, then in May of 2012 he caught c -diff and when he went back to kidney doctor and did labs his creatinine was 4.2 and doctor asked us what was going on, why it jumped so within few months. Told him he had c-diff and they made him do urine test there and another doctor came in and said it was kidney injury from c-diff and that he would recover and creatinine would go down, not completely down but down and when we went back it went down to 3.90 only and we are wondering can it still go down some.
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
He probably has what is called chronic kidney disease, most probably due to the high BP.
He needs to be evaluated by a Nephrologist, if not done so already.
He will do physical examination including looking for fluid collection in the foot and lungs.
The initial tests that would be done are renal function tests with serum electrolytes and GFR estimation. If Potassium is high, it will be corrected.
Diet advice will be given- usually low salt, low potassium and moderate protein.
Water restriction may be advised depending on the water balance of the body.
The medications will usually consist of medicines to correct BP, reduce potassium absorption from the stomach, calcium and b-complex supplements plus medicines to relieve specific symptoms.
Discussion will be made on requirement of dialysis and renal transplant, as needed and on a gradual basis.
It would be wonderful to get the normal creatinine back, but it depends on the extent of the kidney disease.
Wishing him good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor