Diagnosed with kidney infection. What cure should be done for kidney injury from c-diff?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Question: In 2011 my husbands renal function was off very little. After tests he was told he had kidney disease but his number was 2.0 and they said that he could live like that for years without it going up, then in May of 2012 he caught c -diff and when he went back to kidney doctor and did labs his creatinine was 4.2 and doctor asked us what was going on, why it jumped so within few months. Told him he had c-diff and they made him do urine test there and another doctor came in and said it was kidney injury from c-diff and that he would recover and creatinine would go down, not completely down but down and when we went back it went down to 3.90 only and we are wondering can it still go down some.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
He probably has what is called chronic kidney disease, most probably due to the high BP.
He needs to be evaluated by a Nephrologist, if not done so already.
He will do physical examination including looking for fluid collection in the foot and lungs.
The initial tests that would be done are renal function tests with serum electrolytes and GFR estimation. If Potassium is high, it will be corrected.
Diet advice will be given- usually low salt, low potassium and moderate protein.
Water restriction may be advised depending on the water balance of the body.
The medications will usually consist of medicines to correct BP, reduce potassium absorption from the stomach, calcium and b-complex supplements plus medicines to relieve specific symptoms.
Discussion will be made on requirement of dialysis and renal transplant, as needed and on a gradual basis.
It would be wonderful to get the normal creatinine back, but it depends on the extent of the kidney disease.
Wishing him good health,
Dr GS