Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with kidney cancer. What treatment should be done?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
my husband (age 75) has been diagnosed with kidney cancer. because of other medical problems the doctors are hesitant to do ANYTHING! (we're dealing with the VA here}. I want him to go to the nearby Mayo clinic for further testing and treatment. Your opinion?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 18 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, in case of very advanced stage of kidney cancer, there may be difficulty in surgery. But in that case, at least palliative care should be given to the patient.

That means, stage of the cancer is very important and depending upon the stage, the treatment should be given. So, first of all, tumor size, presence of lymph node, presence of metastasis, should be noted. A biopsy should be done to have the histological grading and type of the lesion.

These parameters will give the stage of the cancer. In case of stage IV conservative management has priority. But sometimes a debulking operation may be tried to reduce to tumor burden. Modern treatment modalities using the latest drugs like tyrosine kinase inhibitor or a monoclonal antibiotic should be tried.

I want to say that something has to be done to your husband. So, it would be better for you to go to Mayo clinic for a better management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor