Diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. Is it safe to take pudin hara daily?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Question: Hi Doctor, I am 48 yrs old, male from India & diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The only medicine that gives me relief is Pudin XXXXXXX pearls, made by Dabur, India. Is it safe to take this every day? I am taking one daily for 4 years now.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 41 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Pudin XXXXXXX is an ayurvedic preparation made of mint oils. It is found to be effective in indigestion.
Some of the side effects include heartburn, mouth sores, head ache and diarrhea.
It is also known to interact with certain medications.
Other than these it is very safe.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 hours later
Thanks, Dr Kini. I have a few other questions. I was diagnosed with IBS about 9 years ago, & also underwent an endoscopy at Manipal Hospital, Bangalore in 2003. The results were negative.
The only discomfort I face today, is that I have to evacuate my bowels 3 times in the morning everyday. With 1 Pudin XXXXXXX a day, I am quite comfortable, & no side effects. I also tried other drugs like Yakult & Esabgol, but they are not so effective.
Can I continue with Pudin XXXXXXX or do you have any better suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 20 hours later
If you find good relief with Pudin XXXXXXX you can continue taking that.
Alternatives include T.Ibset once a day and probiotic supplements.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini