Diagnosed with hypotension. Had a middle ear infection. Getting headache and back pain. Side effect?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: First off Dec 21 I was diasonse with hypotension were giving meds and it's well under control because of changing my eating habits and working out to the point I cut my pills in half. I went to the Er that day because of a lighthead feeling and got that news. I was also told that I had a middle ear infection and that could be causing the lightheaded feeling... So I went to a ENT doc and he said that the infection had left but it was a little fluid on there and he removed it but still no relieve on the lighthead went back to my primary doc and he give me meclizine 12.5 for vertigo only taken that for a few days so not sure if its effiecent and also told him about the headaches that seem to travel all over head and neck shoulders and back pain he kinda just put it off as the vertigo could be the issue. What could it be because I haven't been myself in a month and today I went to get my eyes checked and I indeed need glasses and have a astigmatisum so idk what could be the prob
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is great to hear that you have made life style changes and controlled the blood pressure – to the extent of reducing the drug dose. Keep it up.

Vertigo is primarily from the ear. The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. You are already seeing ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist. It may take a long time to settle down.

Mild blood pressure is not likely to cause this. If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension – check the pressure lying and standing... / It can be from anaemia / I presume ECG, blood counts and other investigations have been done and are normal?

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by a neurologist. MRI may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 14 minutes later
No blood are ECG test done yet waiting on my insurance to ok not sure what they check in the ER but they did take blood and released me and said everything was ok. And the problems you said to look into coils those cause the headaches body aches and lightheadness??
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 10 minutes later
Hi

The fact that you are released from the ER show that there is nothing serious or needs immediate attention.

Headache, light headedness and so on may be caused by disturbance in blood supply to brain - though not common in young people.

Continue the ear treatment for a longer time / go for more tests and specialist, if symptoms continue. You can wait to get your insurance, as this is not an emergency...

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Yea because I still have a weird pain in my ears from time to time everyday and the pains travel over my body got me really confused. I also heard it could be antiexy from worrying about my health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hello

You are right! True – anxiety could supplement or even supplant a problem.
Alone, it is often an exclusion diagnosis. In association with another problem, it is often missed or mistaken. When the primary cause becomes better, this will also be better.

There is a known problem and you are under treatment. You will be well – it a question of patience and perseverance.

All the best