Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hyperthyroid. Can it be cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 761 Questions
Hi One of my cousin sister has been detected with hyperthyroid(6.73) at the age of 25.can it be cured or will remain life long. can she lead a healthy married life even give child birth also? what other precautions/medication need to be taken?
how she overcome the stress, weight loss ,weakness which are the common symptoms as of now?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism is a manageable condition.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and relax, your sister will be fine!

Hyperthyroidism is common in females. It is a condition that can be treated with medicine itself. You need to find out the cause of hyperthyroidism. Most common cause is Graves'disease which is an autoimmune condition. But at times it can be a toxic nodule or merely thyroid infection commonly known as thyroiditis.

So you need to get her radio iodine / Tc99 scan. According to the report you can ask her to see an endocrinologist and she/he will manage accordingly. The life remains absolutely normal, no problem in married life or motherhood.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hyperthyroid. Can it be cured? 11 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor for the reply. Shall do needful and take her to see endocrinologist. By the way can you refer any such specialist based out at Dehradun???

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:


There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at this link

Alternatively, write a mail to YYYY@YYYY for assistance on the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor