Diagnosed with hyperprolactinemia. Blood test showed prolactine level 40. Does it cause abdominal fat?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hi doctor,

am 24 years old male and i have been diagnosed with hyperprolactinemia. My blood test shows that my prolactine level is 40 which is not normal. i just want to ask if hyperprolactinemia causes abdominal fat?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified medical specialist and a cardiologist. I read your question with diligence. I am afraid unless there is some other hormonal disorder associated increase in abdominal fat is not the typical feature.
Men typically have problems of sexual dysfunction, visual problems, or headache. Subsequently on investigations they are found to have hyperprolactinemia. Prolactin suppresses GnRH, causing a decrease in luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone, ultimately leading to decreased serum testosterone levels and hypogonadism. Prolactinoma in men also may cause neurological symptoms, particularly visual-field defects (Because pituitary tumors if that is the cause pressure on optic(vision) nerves in the brain)
Physical findings seen in patients with hyperprolactinemia are galactorrhea and, in the case of prolactinomas, visual-field defects. Typically, the diagnosis is made via the aid of laboratory studies as in your case. I hope your MRI or CT scan has been done and evaluated by the radiologist and an endocrinologist is in the scene to look after you. Good Luck.
If there is further query which you might have I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
Regards With Best Wishes:
Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Medicine) DM(Cardiology)
Cardiologist and Internist
http:/ WWW.WWWW.WW