Diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa. Safe to take neotigason?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been diagnosed with hydradensis supporitiva. My dermatologist has prescribed Neotigason as a treatment, but my research says that steroids are a more appropriate treatment. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are many different aspects of treatment of hidradenitis suppurtiva. Medication or surgical care is combined with the use of ordinary soaps and antiseptics, warm compresses, using loose fitting clothing, cessation of smoking and weight loss is necessary.

Treatment is a challenge and the course of treatment depends on the doctor's assessment of the state and the extent of the condition.

In alot of cases the first stage of treatment involves the use of antibiotics, injection of steroids, with systemic steroids used for flare ups.

In terms of your medication- neotigason is an oral retinoid and can be used however it may require a long time (up to 6 mts) for resolution.

You may want to consider speaking to your doctor if you have doubts about your first line medication

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 hours later
Thank you for your answer. My condition is well advanced around the groin and buttocks and armpit areas with multiple pus cysts. It seems to me that steriods would be more useful, perhaps in combination with neotigason. Is neotigason perhaps reserved for advanced cases? I ask because I am seeking a second opinion on my treatment. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
HI,

Steroids are usually first line, your doctor may have a specific reason that he or she decided against using them.
There was a study published in a British medical journal late last year which studied 12 persons using neotigason for severe HS- they used in for 9 to 12 months, all 12 acheived remission, 9 had no recurrences after 6 mths.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Thanks for that, could you give me the reference to that study?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Sure no problem- british journal of dermatology, XXXXXXX 2011; 164 (1): 170-175 Boer J,Nazary M