Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with heterozygous mutation for C282Y/H63D. Do I need any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 319 Questions
I have a diagonsis of Heterozygous Mutation detected C282Y/H63D. present. Does this cause symptoms requiring any treatment. I am often tired but isnt everybody. I am wondering if i would benefit at all my venisection on a regular basis or is this not necessary with this type of blood result.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 2 hours later

The genetic mutation you have is a mutation of Hereditary hemochromatosis. This is associated with increase iron deposition in various tissues in the body especially in the liver. With this iron deposition in the liver there is a risk of development of Cirrhosis of liver over a long term. I would be interested in knowing whether the following blood tests are done for you and if they are not I would advice you to go for the same:

1. Liver function test
2. Serum ferratin level
3. Transferrin saturation.

These tests will tell us about the status of your iron overload for now. If you ferratin levels are high there is indication for repeated phlebotomy on regular basis. Also I would advice you get your children screened for these mutations.

Do let me know that blood reports and I will be able to guide you better.

Hope this was helpful

With warm Regards
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Genetics Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor