Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hepatitis c. HIV test came indeterminate. Should I be worried?

Oct 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 516 Questions
if your hiv test results are p24 p51 p55 gp40 all these are present on the western blot test and it comes back indeterminate does that mean my body is in fected plus I was diagnosed with hepatitis c virus but they haven't gave me medication yet cause they want to see the viral load first whats your perspective on the hiv test could those anti bodies go away etc or coud my hepatitis c virus effect the test real scared ..
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may or may not be, further investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX.
Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.

Positive HIV infection samples give many bands, indicating the presence of antibodies. Negative samples give no bands at all. Occasionally, incomplete patterns of bands corresponding to viral proteins are obtained (e.g., p24 alone, or p55 and p51 only, etc.). Such patterns constitute indeterminate results.

The causes include (1) tests done during seroconversion, (2) late-stage HIV infection, (3) cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies, (4) HIV vaccine recipients.

So indeterminate western blot does not indicate you have HIV infection nor it can rule out. Thats why it is called 'indeterminate'.

antibody reactivity.

Repeat testing by Western blot, ELISA, p24 antigen testing and clinical assessment, as well as consideration of other laboratory parameters (e.g., CD4 count) should be taken into account for further diagnosis and management of HIV infection.

Hope I answered your query.
Any further information you can ask me in follow up query .
Direct query at
WWW.WWWW.WW Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor