Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with hemochromatosis. Suffer extreme fatigue. Tested positive for nuclear antibody test. Will GFR level get back to normal?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I was recently diagnosed with hemochromatosis. I been complaining to the VA about extreme fatigue over the past 3yrs. I had elevated liver and kidney enzymes on and off since I checked into the VA after losing my leg on active duty in the military. I tested positive on a nuclear antibody test after a requested a full panel blood test 2mos ago. They didn't return my calls, so I went through a civilian Doctor. He did the iron, tibc, liver and kidney function. My iron was extremely high. My liver looked good also double checked with ultrasound. My GFR was 57. I'm a but worried about my kidneys. I eat well, and don't drink alcohol. I drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day and exercise regular. I have to give a pint of blood once or twice a month to lower my iron levels. Will my GFR get better once I get my iron leveld back to normal?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 16 days later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail.
Hemochromatosis is a condition in which there is an excess of iron in the body and this iron gets deposited in the liver and kidney impairing their function. The problems with liver and kidney are reversible during the initial phases but as time progresses the functions get permanently reduced. However in many cases of hemochromatosis we have found an improvement of kidney functions even if patient has had the illness for a long time.
You need to be on a low iron diet and not using iron utensils for cooking, blood letting is one of the options that you are already undergoing and also iron chelation and also restrict your intake of vitamin C.
If you continue all these measures over a period of time then your kidney GFR (function) will improve to some extent.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with hemochromatosis. Suffer extreme fatigue. Tested positive for nuclear antibody test. Will GFR level get back to normal? 1 hour later
I'm going to see a kidner specialist next wk at the mayo clinic. I have medicare and Tricare Prime from being medically retired after I lost my leg on active duty. I have been complaining to the VA about chronic fatigue and they always dismiss it. I have a pretty intense weight lifting program and I run several miles a week on my prosthetic. My VA doctor always thought a I had an alternative lifestyle with either drug use or anabolic steroids which he assumed was the reason for my elevated liver values off and on over the past 7 yrs. I try to eat right and be a role model for other disabled Vets and amputees. I feel like just giving up. If he would have given me this nuclear antibody test years ago, I wouldn't be suffering right now.. I feel spent, and honestly I wish I wouldn't wake up anymore. You try so hard, and it goes un-noticed. The director of N as val Hospital told me to fire his ass and call my congressman. Any advice for me personally on how to approach this new kidney guy. I'm an honest guy. I don't believe in BS' ing people???
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 hours later
I understand what you have gone through.
All doctors are not the same and fortunately most of them are sensible enough. You should be honest to this new kidney guy and discuss all the issues with him.He will most certainly guide you properly.
Regarding your feelings of distress you should see a psychiatrist or psychologist who can help you with your thoughts.
Hope that helps
Wish you good health
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor