Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with guillain barre syndrome with the possibility of ms. Required treatment?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
Hi,im 56 male i have been ill since i was 24yrs i was dianosed with XXXXXXX barre with the possibillity of ms when i was 48 i went blind in 1 eye { left} my mri,s have been clear i have weakness in my legs i drag my left leg especially when tied, i get dramaticaly effected from heat to the point where i can,t walk and crash on the lounge and when it cools down i get back to square 1.I have had every blood test known to man,my arms are week when i hold them straight out in front of me. i have symptoms as long as my arm can you help.cheers XXXXXX,i live in Australia.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Guillain Barre syndrome (GBS) is a monophasic illness, that is, once cured, it does not get worse. However, incomplete recovery may occur in some people.

However, your current symptoms are unrelated to GBS. MRI of brain and spine may be repeated. Other tests helpful in making a disgnosis of MS are CSF analysis (lumbar puncture), including CSF for oligoclonal bands. Evoked potential studies are also helpful.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor