Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with gallbladder stone. Advised for Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 52 Questions
Hi... My mother has been diagnosed with Galbladder stone with maximum stone size of 12mm. Doctor has advised for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. I have a few questions regarding this. I am based out of Bangalore and need some useful tips where I can get this done
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Does your mother have any symptoms related to her gallstones like pain, dyspepsia (indigestion) or any stomach issues?
b. Does she suffer from diabetes or hypertension (increased blood pressure)?
c. Is she currently taking any medication?
d. Has she undergone any surgery in the past?

I would like to inform you that every patient with a gallstone does not need surgery. However, patients who are symptomatic surely will benefit from laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

If she needs cholecystectomy, I would be able to help with the places where you can get it done in Bangalore (depending on where you stay in Bangalore).

Awaiting your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with gallbladder stone. Advised for Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Advice? 2 days later
Please find my the answers to your question.

1. Yes, she frequently complains about stomach indigestion, bloats frequestly and have pain on the left side of the lower abdomen.

2. She is not diabetic and her bload pressure is also under control. Last time we checked it was a little on the higer side. 140/70

3. Doctor have adviced some medicines and she is already taking them currently. The names are listed below:

Pantodac, Buscopon, Amlong 2.5 mg and Ornibazole & Ofloxacin, and Mucaine Syrup

4. She has not gone any surgery previously except 3 C-Section surgery which she underwent 30-40 years back.

I would be visiting Dr. XXXXXXX Mehta, MS. FRCS of Fortis Hospital in Nagarbhavi today. She the hospital is too far from my place (Marathalli); can you suggest some good doctor near to my place?

My other query is can we wait till April 1st week to get her operated. What are the associated risks if any.

Answered by Dr. Nitin Rao 2 hours later

Looking at the history a cholecystectomy (removal of gall bladder) seems to help your mother.

I am located at M.S. Ramaiah Memorial Hospital near Mekri circle.

The success of the surgery along with patient outcome depends on various factors, most important are the experience of the surgeon and the technology he uses. If you are interested in a place closer to yourself then would suggest Manipal hospital. The team at Manipal is well experienced and technically advanced. Dr. Bhat, Dr. Dubey are good names in this faculty.

Yes you could wait till April if the doctor examines and confirms the benign nature of it. I think it would be good to decide about this after a thorough discussion with the examining doctor.

Let me know if you wish me to assist you further.

Dr Nitin Rao
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor