Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with fibroids. Planning for a babby. Also suffer ezema. Suggest cream?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6502 Questions
Im 48 years old and i recently diagnoised with fibroids im trying to start a family its only been four or five months.I was wondering is there a blood test i could have at my local doctor to see how many eggs i have left.Also can you recommend a cream for my ezema my doctor subscibebetamethasone valerate 0.1%w/w cream the affected area is on my elbow this cream does not seem to work i would be grateful for your advice. thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Hello XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.

This is Dr Vivek answering your question.

After having gone through what you have said, there are two questions to be answered:

1. Diagnosed with uterine fibroinds, you want to know number of eggs left and would like to start a a family, age mentioned 48 years.

There is no blood test to detect the number of eggs you might have left. There are blood tests to measure the levels of hormones in blood though (LH, FSH).
Nevertheless, a sequential ultrasound scan known as follicular scan can be conducted under guidance of gynecologist to assess the growth of follicles, release of eggs and so on.
Presence of fibroids (details of which are not availabe) may be a relative contraindication for pregnancy depending on size and number of fibroids.
Your age is not very favorable to conceive a baby because you are in perimenopausal age group and also there is a high risk of congenital problems in babies born to mothers aged 35 years or older.

With the above information, you need not get discouraged, there are many doctors who specialise in treating infertility and also help couples babies through in vitro fertilisation and surrogacy. You could just be an ideal candidate.

2. Can you recommend a cream for my ezema my doctor subscibebetamethasone valerate 0.1%w/w cream the affected area is on my elbow this cream does not seem to work:

It looks like your doctor has given you a topical steroid for eczema.
Eczema is better treated in combination of medications.
1. First, please try to apply moisturizer and emollient to your affected part after your bath each day.
2. Application of topical steroids in form of cream helps, (your doctor has given you a topical steroid at present).
3. Immunomodulators (the act on the immune system). Examples are Tacrolimus, Pimecrolimus.
4. PUVA A and B (psoralen with ultraviolet light A and B) therapy.
5. Use of probiotics for treating eczema is under way.

Please consult your doctor for detailed information and take medicines and undergo procedures after detailed discussion.

Further questions welcome.
If you have no questions, I request your to please close this thread and post feedback.

Dr Vivek

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor