Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with fatty liver. Having pain in ribs and on the middle of the body. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver and am making diet changes, eating protein and vegetables at every meal and not eating breads. Before i started, i had some pain under my ribs on my left side, with the most pain being directly on the middle of my body where my left and right ribs XXXXXXX Now the pain has increased slightly in the 3 days i have cut calories to 1500. I had some fatty food a few days ago and it hurt the most then. I have a drs appointment on Friday, i am having a difficult time being positive and taking care of my kids until then. Many tears. Its not my gallbladder, i had that removed in my 20s.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I assume that you have had an abdominal ultrasound to diagnose fatty liver. What does this test tell about bile ducts?
You need to know that you have had an ability to gallstones creation. With gallbladder removal, only existing gallstones were removed, however the ability has not changed. That is why some persons after gallbladder removal (even 20 years) can have gallstones in the bile ducts. So if your current pain is kind of similar to gallbladder pain, you should consider such possibility. In the ultrasound, such stones or distended bile ducts should be present.
Upper middle abdominal pain is also very often caused by stomach issues like peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or Helicobacter Pylori infection.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have liver tests (AST,ALT,GGT and AP). If this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be done.

In a meanwhile please avoid coffee (very important), alcohol, fatty foods, fried foods, spicy foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor