Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with extropia, had surgery during childhood for strabismus. Eyes are turning to corners. Surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1169 Questions
I have been diagnosed with "extropia". I am 73 yrs old, and had 3 surgeries as a young child for strabismus. Now, my eyes are starting to "wander", mostly turning out to the corners. It is VERY disturbing, both for vision problems and for cosmetic reasons. My opthamologist has suggested surgery. Is this common, and how likely is the surgery to be successful. We live in a rural area with poor access to medical care, so I don't know where to go for a second opinion. Any information you could give would be much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
My Dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Residual effects after repeat surgeries are not uncommon.Since the problem is there and it is causing you discomfort,it needs to be corrected.
We usually leave some scope for repeat surgeries as there are 4 muscles which can be tackled for exotropia.We leave a muscle to be tackled later on if necessary.
You will need careful pre operative assessment to evaluate the surgical steps to be undertaken.
You have to approach a big centre,having experiance in these surgeries with a orthoptic department for proper pre and post operative management.
With due care surgeries are rewarding.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with extropia, had surgery during childhood for strabismus. Eyes are turning to corners. Surgery? 5 days later
Thank you for your prompt response. I am extremely anxious about anything to do with my eyes. From your response, I gather this is not such an unusual condition, and the chances for success are relatively good. This has helped me somewhat with my anxiety. I am scheduled to have this surgery at the XXXXXXX Tech Eye Clinic in Lubbock. Dr. Freedman is the one handling this surgery. He has been taking measurements over a period of six months, and he seems pretty confident. I cannot find any information on the internet concerning the "rating" of either the Clinic itself or Dr. Freedman. This doesn't help my anxiety. Maybe I am looking at the wrong websites.

Can you make any comment on this matter, or suggest a website where I can find some information on the above?

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear Virgenia,
thanks for getting back to us.
instead of ratings of the clenic,i am more keen to have an idea about the expertise and methodology of the clinic,so that i can be assured that you are in good hands.The approach i see satisfies me that you are being taken care of properly and they seem to be thorough.
half of our patients are previously operated,and this surgery is reasonably crude and does not require too much of dexterity,but the crux of the matter is which muscle is to be tackled and jow much.That is what they seem to be doing.
I feel i will be of help in technical matter ,you can explore the web and will find the suitable site.
Any difficulty,please do get back to me .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor