Diagnosed with esophageal ulcer and acid reflux. Recurring pain between breastbone and belly button. Why?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello, I have recurring pain and pressure between my breastbone and belly button. It can last for days. A few months ago I was told I have an oesophageal ulcer and acid reflux and have medication for that. But how do I stop this pressure/pain?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Life style morifications.PPI with prokinetic

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX
I went through the query and understood your concern.

The recurring pain / pressure may be due to reflux gastro esophageal disorder or due to lactose / fructose intolerant.

Since lactose / fructose intolerant, the food with these stays in stomach and intestine for longer time for digestion and the the sugars that are passed undigested to lower gut gets acted upon by the bacteria and is converted to acidic products which leads to this intolerance. So you need to avoid food with lactose and fructose (dairy products). Or else these problem will be repeating.

For reflux esophagitis and acid peptic disease you have to take proton pump inhibitors (PPI) (like Pantoperazole) with anti emetic/prokinetic (Domperidone) for 4-8 weeks after discussing with your doctor. This will reduce the amount of acid production and also increase the gastrointestinal peristalsis thereby accelerating gastric emptying and improving gastro-duodenal coordination.

Also follow the following steps
Drink a glass of water as soon as you get up from the bed to clear off the regurgitated acid in the esophagus and reduces the heart burn.
Avoid coffee/tea/dairy products/wheat products/fizzy drinks/citrus fruits for few days. Consume plenty of green leafy vegetables and exercise every day.
Take frequent small meals, do not fast and head end should be raised while sleeping and try to lie on the right side when you go to sleep.
These measures will help you.

Control and reduce stress, as the undue stress may be the primary cause for all the above problems.

I hope this information answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.