Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with dominant leiomyomas. Having painful period with clot. Should I take birth control pill?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
I have been diagnosed with dominant leiomyomas, 1.9 x1.2 x 2.1 cm (uterine interior wall) and 1.4 x 0.8 x 1.3 cm (right lateral uterine wall with submucosal extension) and two unilocular cysts measuring 2.4 x 1.2 x 1.5 cm and 0.8 x 0.6 x 0.8 cm. During ovulation I can't get out of bed for 3 or 4 days and my menstrual cycles are very painful (back and cramping like I am in labor) lasts around 7 days (norm 2-3) and I pass clots during my entire cycle. I am 39, with 3 children, and have a tubal ligation. My gyn PA I should just take birth control pills but I would like a hysterectomy. Could you advise?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The problem you are having is due to ovulation. Taking birth control pills will stop ovulation, decrease the bleeding and pain during the periods and will also decrease the size of the ovarian cysts while keeping your hormones intact.
In case the heavy bleeding continues after taking birth control pills for 4-5 months then you can request your gynecologist to consider hysterectomy. Going for removal of uterus and ovaries at your age is not a first line treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with dominant leiomyomas. Having painful period with clot. Should I take birth control pill? 10 minutes later
I do not want my ovaries removed, just my uterus. I've have had ovarian cysts before throughout the years so I can tell when I am ovulating from my left ovary. They come and go, so it's not as serious as the heavy clotting and cramps during my period. I don't want to take birth control pills, that's why I had my tubes tied. Are there any other options? I'd rather have my uterus removed (my pap smears have been normal) keep my cervix and uterus in tact. How old would I need to be before I received the partial hysterectomy. I live an active lifestyle and don't want to gain weight from birth control pills, develop acne, or increase my risk for other cancers from taking estrogen or progestin birth control pills. It appears that my PA gyn feels I should take BC pills or just endure the progessively heavy clotting and cramping until menopause. You addressed the ovarian cysts, but not the fibroids. I was told by my gyn that fibroids are what's casuing the cramping and clotting. Thank you. I want the hysterectomy for the fibroids, not the cysts.
Thank you Dr. Tayal.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you want only the uterus to be removed, then only the pain and clots during the periods will be relieved. The pain during ovulation will not be taken care of. Birth control pills might help to reduce both of your problems.
You can go for partial hysterectomy or myomectomy to take care of the fibroids if you do not want to take the birth control pills.
You can request your treating gynecologist to consider a suitable surgical procedure for you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with dominant leiomyomas. Having painful period with clot. Should I take birth control pill? 24 minutes later
Thank you. Are there any low dose birth control pills that will not make me gain weight or develop hirsutism? I'd rather wear the birth control patch than take pills however. Those are my big concerns. Weight gain, acne, and hirsutism.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
You can take non hormonal pills like Centchroman. These are not associated with any side effects like weight gain, acne, hirsuitism.
You can also get a low dose hormone patch prescribed from your gynecologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor