Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with diverticulitis and experiencing numbness and tingling in vagina

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5576 Questions
Hi. In the past I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis on CT several times, and at a different time also with having pudental neuralgia that lasted about 3 years off and on, mostly on, and then went away (diagnosed by exam and symptoms)> No one did any imaging at the time to see if there was any pathology causing the neuralgia. After about 2 years I have some of the same symptoms back for the past several months but lately there is also burning in my left buttock where the same pain is from the neuralgia off and on, numbness and tingling on the left side of anus and vagina Today I also started having diarrhea and lower left sharp stabbing pains like when I had the diverticulitis. I have chills off and on, also today. On MRI and CTscans for the diverticulitis radiologists have seen "cysts" on the left side in sacral and pelvic views that they called "innocent". I had a rectal ultrasound 2 yrs ago and MD found nothing except I had major repeated pain in one area when he went farther into the sigmoid area. 3 years ago a colonoscopy was done due to occult blood with negative results (hemorrhoids no polyps). I also feel "air" off and on that I think is coming from urethra, I can be sitting, esp. happens after sitting then standing up, sometimes after urinating, has happened only twice while urinating. An MRI was done to look for fistulas, none found. Could the pudendal neuralgia cause be causing all these symptoms? I know that they can be from separate problems. My gastroenterologist thinks that I need to see my gyn and I've seen a urologist that did cystoscopy and found nothing. Gyn has found nothing, normal gyn exam. What type of neurologist deals with pudendal neuralgia? I won't go back to the gyn MD specializing in PN that dxed my neuralgia. He moved away from my area and was very condescending. There is so much to this history. I am a dentist that has to sit way too much due to work and also knows too much but not enough to figure out who to see to get better. My primary MD doesnt know and I probably know as much as he does about this. Is there a team of specialists including a neurologist somewhere that could help me? Thank you so much. PS I took my temperature earlier, it's 98.8. Still having lower left pain, sharp stabs sometimes intense, every 5 - 10 min's or so, it changes. drinking water, not eating any more solid food tonight..if it gets worse or bad enough, I'll go to ER PSS Gyn specialist several years back put me on gabapentin. Did not help and made me extremely constipated. also made me feel weird and was hard to work (dentistry) I took the gabapentin for about a month. The neuralgia symptoms went away on their own, but when I had them, I had the pillow to sit on, still do use, and tried to not bend, sit, etc... but the pain happens in my butt and inside body in the center on the left, hard to explain location, all the time off and on, not related to sitting as much as before. sometimes it burns now, other times just hurts., like pain with cold sores on your lip, aches up to your eye sometimes, no sign of having herpes there, I've had gyn look during symptoms... my chief complaint now is the pain in lower left, may not be related to PN. I don't have any of the radiologist reports in the computer, will take me a day or so to upload. If you need them, I will do it. Please let me know. Thanks, again. XXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You should see a Neurologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have gone through your medical history in detail, and can understand the discomfort you are undergoing on account of pain. At the same time, I am relieved to know that your MRI and CT scans have not shown any significant problems. Your symptoms are neurological in origin, suggestive of pudendal neuralgia, as well as involving sacral nerves. This could be because of impingement of nerves. If you can send the report of MRI lumbar and sacral regions, it would be useful. I have noted that you had constipation with gabapentin. Other good options to relieve the nerve pain are pregabalin and duloxetine capsules. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diverticulitis and experiencing numbness and tingling in vagina 1 minute later
Hi, I know I could have a kidney stone, too or just that for this lower left pain. it's definitely hurting a and on. had ultrasound over a year ago, have a small stone in the r kidney but they saw nothing in the left.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Brief Answer: You could repeat an ultrasound Detailed Answer: Yes, I agree with you that it could be a kidney stone on the left side to explain the flank pain. You could get the ultrasound KUB repeated. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diverticulitis and experiencing numbness and tingling in vagina 17 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help. I will have to find those reports and scan them to send them to you. It may be in 2 - 3 days that I can get them to you. I haven't had pain in my back or low back at all. The burning pain is left of my spine, to the left an inch or so from the spine, in the center of my body between my back and front and left and right sides. It's hard to describe. It's not my tailbone tip (coccyx) or bone at all. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I have understood the location of your pain. Yes, it would be helpful to get the scanned reports, when you have them. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor