Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with diffused fatty infiltration of liver with high SGPT. Suggest some medicine

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14831 Questions
I have recently dignosed with diffused fatty infiltration of liver with SGPT count arround 113. Would you like to suggest some medicine? Also auggest few exercises and few restrictions on food please.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fatty liver is a common problem. It can be related to alcohol use or not related to alcohol. If it is not related to alcohol intake then it is called non excess use of alcohol then decreasing the use of alcohol would improve the liver and stop it from progressing to full blown liver failure.

Non alcoholic fatty liver disease is being found in alot of persons at present and is one of the most common reasons for liver disease at the moment. It can be improved but if it isn't can be associated with progressive liver problems and even heart disease. If you are at an early stage, then it can be reversed or you can stop it from going further.

The most common reason for non alcoholic liver disease is diet and lack of activity.
(1)If you are able to increase your activity to at least 150 minutes a week, this is associated with improvement. This would mean exercising for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week or for 45 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. If you can do more that would even be better. It does not matter what exercise you do, you should choose one that you would like to do for example some persons like to walk , jog, dance, swim, cycle,box or do aerobic exercise videos.
It is always best to choose a type of exercise that you like,that way you are more likely to stick to it.

(2) In terms of diet- it has actually been found that if person reduce their carbohydrate intake they would notice an improvement in fatty liver. The reason is that carbohydrates cause the body to release insulin. Insulin, in addition to lowering blood sugar actually causes the body to store fat.This means that the more carbohydrates you eat,the more insulin you release and the more fat your body stores in the liver and other places.
If you can reduce your carbohydrate intake, there should be an improvement.

This would mean eliminating sodas and fruit juices. It would also mean reducing your use of bread/biscuits/some breakfast cereals/flour products/pastry/rice/pasta/potatoes.

You can use beans, lentils, kidney beans, black peas, chick peas- these are more protein than carbohydrates
You can also use as much protein (fish/meat/milk/yogurt/ cheese).

Use alot of water.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diffused fatty infiltration of liver with high SGPT. Suggest some medicine 13 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX Gibson,

Can Ursocol for a duration of 2 months help reverse the condition? Also while exercising is there any specific exercise that I should do more?
Also Can sugarcane juice and coconut water can be drinked?

Thanks for your views on this.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

You can use the coconut water but avoid the sugar cane juice as this is high in sugar and therefore high in carbohydrates which you need to reduce

Any exercise that you would enjoy and would be more likely to continue doing is fine. It is just important to exercise at least 150 minutes a week, more if you can

Ursocol is mainly used to dissolve gall stones and prevent the formation of gall stones in persons who are losing alot of weight, it is not known to be helpful in fatty liver disease

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor