Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with diabetes during pregnancy. Taking novomix. Can Miprogen be taken for baby's growth?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hi, I am 12 week pregnant. I was advised by my gyna to take miprogen for baby's growth. Within 2 days my blood sugar result came and I was diagnosed with diabetes (with 4 weeks pregnant). I am taking insulin injection novomix 30, 10 units each in morning and night. I have fibroadenoma in my breast. Can I still take the medicine as I was just checking on miprogen to check if it will compensate for calcium and iron as I assumed that if it is for baby's growth, it should have all these and came to know that it is not safe with my condition. Kindly advice
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Brief Answer: miprogen not useful now Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Miprogen is a drug used in early pregnancy to help sustain the pregnancy . It's not effective after 14 weeks pregnancy . In your case i don't think it will help much at this point . It's not a substitute for Iron and calcium . You need to take the iron and calcium separately . It's very important . Along with that insulin as advised with strict monitoring of blood sugar .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor