Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with diabetes and high SGPT, SGOT levels. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
I m 35 yr old I recently diagnose diabetes and high sgpt and sgot levels I.e 275 & 175 and also bilrubin 1.88 is it treatable
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Deranged Liver function may be due to fatty liver

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Elevation in SGOT/SGPT in a diabetic patient is due to fatty liver most commonly. For which you have to get your lipid profile (which if deranged require treatment) and ultrasound abdomen to see for liver echotexture. You also need to get good glycaemic control that is sugar control, regular exercise at least 30 minutes / day, low fat diet, if obese or overweight then weight reduction, also tablets like ursodeoxycholic acid and vitamin E supplements , these all I found very useful in my patients

However you still need to be investigated for other causes for elevation of transaminase levels like:
1. Alcohol if you are taking then please avoid it
2. Other common and treatable causes like Hepatitis B and C virus, Serum ceruloplasmin for XXXXXXX disease, XXXXXXX and SMA for autoimmune disease

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor