Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

158 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Diagnosed with depressive disorder along with anxiety. What treatment is required?

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Depression
Question: I recently had neuropsychological testing indicating strongly that I am malingering which is not true. The results are devastating and untrue. I scored high on 3 measures for effort/malingering. I am NOT malingering. I have had cognitive deficits. I am going to a hearing for State disability benefits at the end of the month. How do I defend myself?
My diagnosis is MDD recurrent moderate and anxiety d/o NOS, r/o malingering on Axis 1 and on Axis 2 diagnosed as BPD.
How do I best defend myself with the r/o of malingering in an SSDI hearing with a judge, a doctor and voc rehab doctor? I am shocked at my test performance and I have no idea what to do. A friend of mine who is a retired psychologist told me via email that I should go to court and fight it. What happens if they deny me? Will I lose my LT disability from the company I work for?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic!
From the description you have given I understand that you have a recurrent depressive disorder along with anxiety issues. I also understand that except for the back pain,you don't seem to be much troubled right now with your psychiatric illness on drugs.
Psychological tests for malingering,although are good, but have a good amount of false positive and false negative results. People who are very anxious about proving their disability, although having a true illness, are also considered as malingerers. While answering the tests you should have been simply truthful (no offense intended!) and not overrate the symptoms in any way as you would have got the benefits with your existing complains.
Now that the issue is in the court you should fight it out and also request for a repeat psychological test for malingering. Its very difficult to prove with certainty that somebody is malingering in the court of law.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and review it if possible.
Wish you a good health!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow and want to change my sleep meds because I haven't been sleeping and did not sleep the night before the 5 hour testing process. My mental illness culminates in me not wanting to go outside, fear of people, chronic SI (most of the time) severe anxiety, lethargy, poor concentration and memory and lots of anxiety. I've had severe anxiety before and since my almost deadly suicide attempt in Marth 2012 in which I spent 3 days in ICU and 8 days in a psych unit.
No day is simple for me. I have been fighting the depression for a very long time and have a history of 3 inpatient psychiatric admissions over the years and have had ECT. My psychiatrist calls it "intractable depression".
Should I share this with my lawyer whom I see on Friday?
I do plan to continue with the hearing on the 29th and intend to fight it.
I am a therapist myself and am not ready to return to work quite yet. I am not thinking of disability long term especially because I wouldn't be able to live on what the State pays. I am worried about my future and intend to get over this.
Let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 10 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description you have given, it surely appears that you have significant depressive symptoms.
You should surely fight as the cause is very much justified. You should share your symptoms details with your lawyer so that he gets to know more from you.
Regarding you treatment, along with an obvious anti depressant, you can ask your doctor to consider the use of lamotrigine or lithium or valproate. Also quetipine is a also quite effective in such cases.
I am sure you are considering CBT and psychodynamic psychotherapy for your illness (being a therapist).
Unfortunately we are not allowed to prescribe medications on this site as it will be a violation of the law.
But you should go ahead with the case.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and review it if possible.
Wish you a good health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Malingering

doctor1 MD

my son is having constant pain in his left upper arm. the pain started this morning and came out of nowhere. I took him to urgent care and they took xray that showed nothing. I give him ibuprofen and that seems to help for a bit. is there...

doctor1 MD

Hi name is XXXX I am writing because I am at a loss and really grasping at all straws. First let me start off by saying that I am a PA-C which I reluctantly tell providers because I don't want them to look at me as over analyzing things,...

doctor1 MD

my son is 29 yrs old and is experiencing sudden numbness in right side of face including and tongue. The numbness continued down right side of his body. He now has a bad headache but most of numbness has subsided. This began approx. 1.5 hrs...

doctor1 MD

hi, i would like to consult regarding my 8 year old girl. one time while we were resting she just told me that she can't close her hand. i tried to squeeze them thinking that she was only malingering. but as i squeeze her hand, she said that it hurts.. she also told me that the tips of uer fingers feels like when she has paresthesia.. can you please help me diagmose these symptoms?

doctor1 MD

if there s fainting!? do i need to use ammonia?! and what kind of brand of ammonia can i use here in saudi arabia!?

doctor1 MD

there is a boy of age 11 years having pain in left part of chest after 10 to 20 second he become unconscious then after 5 minute he become normal. this will happen 5 times in a day. all test including ECG are normal. advice me which disease the boy might suffer.