Diagnosed with depressed fracture of lateral tibial condyle. Will this affect married life and pregnancy?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Arthritis
Question: Sir i met with an accident on October 15th but at that time the doctors who treated me said that it was just a sprain but after 2weeks when i showed my Xray to another doctor at that time i came to no that my right knee was fractured but in the mean time i had started to walk and i was not suffering with any pain and the swelling also had come down after 5 days of accident and i was able to fold my right leg little but once when i came to no about the fracture my right leg got swollen very badly. Ortho docs suggested MRI and complementary CT scans on Oct 30th after seeing all the reports doc has said that i have an depressed fracture of lateral tibial condyle involving articular surface and horizontal tear of posterior horn of medialand lateral menisci with lipo hemathrosis, They suggested me for either operation or to be in rest for 3weeks. due to the high cost of operation i opted for rest but now the problem is even after 3weeks swelling is not reduced and docs are saying that i will get arthritis very soon and also 1 doc is sayin that the tear is not happend and the scan report is wrong and the other reading the report is saying that it is happend. My age is 29 and may be within 2 years i may get married will this fracture create any problem during my pregnancy and can i be back to normal life with my regular activities like jogging, walking, climbing stairs bcos here docs are saying that i should not strain my leg in future and also pls kindly suggest me how to avoid from getting arthritis after 5 or 10 years.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find the answers below. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX - This fracture will not cause or create any sort of problem for your future pregnancy. - You can be back to normal life with all your regular activities (provided the fracture heals properly) after 3 months. - With regard to the fracture (after 3-4 months), there will not be any limitations for your daily activities as the bone will unite inevitably within these 3-4 months period. Whereas the meniscal tears may or may not heal (depends on the site of the tear in the meniscus) completely as the blood supply of the meniscii is very precarious. And this could be the reason why the doctors might have advised not to strain your leg too much in future. - Inorder to avoid arthritis, you should keep the muscles around the knee joint in good tone (especially the quadriceps muscle) by way of regular strengthening exercises. Consult a good Physiotherapist, who will demonstrate all the exercises for the knee joint. Also, keep your weight at an optimum level as obese patients tend to develop arthritis at an early age. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards
Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Thank you very much sir for ure reply but in the 3-4 months should i use the kneecap and im suppose to go to office from next month sir where i need to climb stairs a lot so can i go to office from next month and what should i do to reduce the pain and swelling in my right leg the swelling is there from knee till the sole of the leg.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, You can use the knee cap. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. You can definitely use a knee cap or support which will help in reducing the swelling as well as provides some stability to the knee joint. You can go to the office once you don't feel any pain in your knee joint while walking (which indirectly indicates that the fracture has healed). The only thing which you have to keep in your mind while climbing or getting down the stairs is to avoid any twisting movement in the knee joint as it will cause more harm to the already torn meniscii in the knee joint. Symptomatic reduction in pain & swelling can be obtained with analgesic antiinflammatory medications and keeping your leg in elevation (foot end elevated) during most of the time in a day. Hope I made everything clear for you. Any more doubts, let me know. Good day