Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with costochondritis. Woke up with pain in chest. Having fever and pain during breathing? What can be done?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10460 Questions
I was diagnosed with costochondritis (CC). I am a female, age 64, that has enjoyed very good health. Last month when I woke up at night with pain in my chest, I was very worried. I used pain medication, but didn't go to the Dr. (no insurance) as I hoped everything would just go away. I laid around for about a week with chills and fever and pain with breathing. And I did get better. But then 10 days later, it was back with all the symptoms. I soon after went to the Dr. and he listened to my heart and lungs (said they sounded good, and I refused the EKG and chest XRay - again no insurance) He found the sore area on my sternum somewhere around the 2nd and 3rd rib. I have looked up CC and see that I have the classical symptoms except the chills and fever. I did not have a temperature when I visited the Dr. (as I was well into ibuprophen) but I continue to get chills and fever regularly at the end of the ibuprophren. The usual temp is 101F, and I am very chilly/shivery. After about an hour into the ibuprophren the chills and fever disappear, but I am perspiring fairly heavily - something I have never done before. This second episode is now into day 10. Do I need to return to the Dr. and get a chest XRay????
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. A chest X-ray will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
Costochondritis is an inflammatory disorder and may sometimes be associated with fever and chills. But since the fever is persistent for last 10 days, chest infection or viral bronchitis needs to be ruled out after an examination and a chest X-ray.
It is best to consult your physician again and get the necessary investigations done to find out the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor