Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with costochondritis. Getting severe body pain when breathing deeply or moving. Thoughts?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
Hi, I was diagnosed with Costco about 8 months ago. I was bed ridden for 3 months. It subsided occasionally for a few weeks and comes back. I just started another flare up this morning and no pain killers help. My biggest issues is that when I move, talk, adjust,and breathe deep i get severe spasms where I can not control my body and the pain is so excruciating I often vomit and can't control my body for a few minutes. I've seen so many doctors and no one can help me. What would your opinion be?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 50 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Costochondritis can be really debilitating at times and oral pain killers usually don't work at that time. The best treatment is to get local injections of pain killers. You can even try local steroid injections as they are known to have long term action.
Fortunately this condition subsides on its own in a few months to a year.

Hope you get well soon. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor