Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with conjuctivitis. Identified as bacterial infection but was viral. Erythromycin replaced with eye drops. Advice

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1173 Questions
My niece XXXXXXX is suffering from severe conjuctivitis. She is a US citizen with her parents at XXXXXXX Washington DC.
Infection started from 19/4. First doctor visit was on 21/4. Identified as bacterial infection originally and then they concluded it is Viral as well. Hence the earlier erythromycin ointment is replaced with antibiotic eye drops. The infection further increased to the cornea. The doctor there advised it may cause corneal scars and will impair vision/sight temporarily. We are very much worried on this.
Last night, during the visit to the doctor, they observed some tear on the cornea on two eyes and hence they have inserted contacts in both the eyes. The situation seems to be very critical.
What would be precautions to take for her diet, care and what should we be prepared of ? And the existing damage that is happened, how long does it take to recover ? We take only vegetarian diet.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
thanks for sending your query to us.
i feel bacterial conjunctivitis respond well to antibiotics.Chances are this is a viral kerato conjunctivitis.
Viral infections will respond to anti viral drops.Anti biotic drops are added to prevent super added bacterial infection.
This is not the way we manage such patients here,they are given antibiotic and anti viral drops and they respond well.
Diet has no role in such infections.
I do not feel XXXXXXX is being managed well.
Is it possible that you can get a second opinion,as i do not see a antiviral medication.
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor