Diagnosed with colo-rectal cancer stage III. Having back pain and knee pain. Is this normal?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Question: My Mom is 53 years old , 72 kg, she was diagnosed with Colo-Rectal cancer Stage III a year and half back (in., Aug-2011). Her Sugar and BP levels are normal. She underwent Chemotherapy through IV - 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) using port a XXXXXXX The 6 cycles of Chemo completed in April 2012. Now that her blood count is quite normal 10.2, and CEA Is around 2.5 and the side effects of the treatment have also been reversing. But she has backpain (not continuous though) and knee pain very often. she now takes medicine for the soft tissue between the knee bones as advised by the doctor. Is the backpain/ knee pain normally due to overweight or something related to the ailment?
I would also like to know when we can get the port inserted in the right chest region removed as she sometimes feels an irritation over the area.
The Doctor advised us to get the CEA test done every three months to monitor the level of carcino antigens. Please also let me know if this test alone is sufficient as a follow up to diagnose metastasis?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The backpain and the knee pain looks unrelated to CRC as the CEA is within normal limits and bone metastasis is rare in CRC. Overweight might be responsible for that. Get her examined by an orthopedic doctor.

As far as CEA for follow up is concerned, it has to be done every three months during the first 2 years. And it is enough.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
Thanks so much for the reply Sir.

Could you also let me know if CEA test is alone enough for further diagnosis? Does she need to undergo a PET scan? if so when?

When is it advisable to remove the inserted Portacath?

Thanks in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
PET scan is generally not indicated for follow up of CRC. Combined PET/CT is more effective that is being tried these days and is still in experimental stage.

As far as the port-a-cath is concerned, it can be removed as chemotherapy has been completed long ago.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini