Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with chronic hives. Not cured by levocetirizine 5 mg. Should I go for specialist advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
I was diagnosed multiple allergies in the 90's with chronic hives. otc meds give some relief but they have been very severe and more chronic this summer. i was prescribed levocetirizine 5 mg on 7/19/12. the rases are less widespread but are still there after taking the meds since 7/19/12. should i see an allergist or allow more response time?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Allergic rashes mostly respond to anti allergic medicines like levocetrizine and topical steroids. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment available over the counter for full relief.
In addition you can apply calamine lotion which will help in soothing the skin and have foods XXXXXXX in vitamin C which is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine. You can also have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C like citrus fruits, oranges, papaya, grapefruit, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, and pineapple.
You can see an allergist in case the symptoms are persistent even after one week of incorporating these changes.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor