Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with chlamydia. Is it contagious through oral sex?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1823 Questions
Hi I have a question about an Std I was diagnosed with chlamydia I had it and my girlfriend give me oral sex so I was wondering if she can also get the std too. I did not ejaculate.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.

If you are having active chlamydial infection and if you have not been treated for it and if the infection has not been eradicated, there is a risk of the infection getting transmitted to your girlfriend.

Chlamydial infection can get transmitted by oral sex also.

Though you did not ejaculate, Chlamydia can still get transmitted by "precum".

So if you have active chlamydial infection, get your girlfriend also tested for it and treat if found positive.

I hope that answers your question.

If there are no more question, accept the answer and kindly rate the service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with chlamydia. Is it contagious through oral sex? 3 hours later
I have read that it's a rare occurrence for it to be transmitted orally since it doesn't stick to the throat as easily. Is that true
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later

Chlamydia spreads by vaginal, oral and anal sex.
Though symptoms involving uro-genital tract and eyes are more common, it is also transmitted by oral sex.

Chlamydia can affect the throat during oral sex and it is not very rare.

There are reports that it can even infect the supporting tissue of teeth (periodontitis).

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor