Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. Is it safe to go on bike? Will it affect married life?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
hi m diagonised with cervical spondylosis m 3o yrs now i want to know to do and not to do activities i use to go by bike daily is it safe as it causes jerks ,running gym etc will it effects also on married life
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid bad roads,lifting heavy weight

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Here are my other useful suggestions to you:
Avoid lifting weights, avoid bad roads, do not watch television or work on computer for long time.
Sit with a support on your neck.
Take break every half hour while at office. Try to do some stretches and joint movements
Continue neck exercises.

neck rotation, shoulder shrugging, slow and gradual movement of neck.
You can consult physiotherapist for help.

You can use soft cervical collar when needed
Do not ride bike on jerky roads, hold gym for some time and again you can start once pain relief is there.
This will not affect your married life, so do not worry.
Check your vit B12 level through blood test.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. Is it safe to go on bike? Will it affect married life? 45 minutes later
thx sir as you know indian roads are full off speed breakers and bad roads i hve to go office 10 km daily which has lot of speed breakers will it is too bad and m a software engineer prolonged sitting is must if i will go by bad roads does cervical spondylosis will grow more i mean the gap between them will come closer what can i do for this
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can use cervical collar

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

You can use cervical soft collar while travelling on bike. Another option you can use public transport or 4 wheeler which will give fewer jerks to your cervical spine.

Yes cervical spondylosis will worsen meaning gap between vertebrae can reduce.

When you are working on computer you need to take frequent breaks, do some joint rotation exercises, some stretches, maintain proper posture.
You should learn more about computer related injury [CRI] on various websites.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. Is it safe to go on bike? Will it affect married life? 34 minutes later
thanks for answer i hve headaches and vertigo due to cs my doc told its the symptom of cs do i hve to revisit the doctor or just take medicines and thank u so much for your quick and detailed response
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take just medicine

Detailed Answer:

Yes headache and vertigo are common in CS ,you can just take medicine,and follow up to doctor after few weeks.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor