Diagnosed with cellulitis. Prescribed Keflex and Bactrim. Have itchy rashes on arms, legs, buttocks, chest and stomach. Suggestions

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Ran into a coffee table on Christmas Eve, which raised a 5" x 4" massive welton my leg. Went to ER on January 9 and was diagnosed with cellulitis. Prescribed Keflex and Bactrim- told them I was allergic to penicillin. Leg sweeling went down some, but not all. January 15 developed intensly itchy red, blistery rash on leg. Rash spread to other leg- diagnosed with eczema. Skin biopsy normal- prescribed clobetasol cream. I have the same crazy, itchy rash now, five months later, on arms, legs, buttocks, chest and stomach; am constantly tired. Some leg swelling still present.

I am tired of treating symptoms and not cause. Help.

Rash has been consistent on leg since January 16 and appeared on other parts of my body progressively. Hands will stop itching and hel, then forearms start, forearms stop itching then upper arms start..

Also prescribed betamethasone cream.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Thanks for the query and photograph.
It is looking like an Eczamatid.
It is a condition developing after an infective condition.

The lesions are fluid filled, and very itchy.
Problem is that it is very chronic and may last for years.

Topical steroid like betamethasone wont help much.

You need treatment with oral steroids.

Ask your treating doctor regarding starting of tab Dapsone, it is a wonderful drug in itchy vesicular conditions.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Thank you