Diagnosed with bulky uterus and fibroid. Cause and cure?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: I was diagnosed after ultrasound with a bulky uterus.10.8 x 5.8 x 8.8 and two fibroids 7x4.7cm and 4x3cm but states that thickness is normal. GYN said my uterus is the size of a 15wk pregnancy. First of all, how can thickness be normal if uterus is bulky? Second, I am tired often and could this be from a uterus that is equal to 15wks pregnant in size?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

I have gone through the report . I am giving the answers one by one.

1. The uterus is really heavy. Now, for your information, in uterus, there is two parts. One is myometrium made up of muscle and forming outer part. Another is endometrium which is inner part made up of glands responsible for menstruation.
Fibroids are leiomyomas that means they are the benign proliferation of muscle cells. For this reason, when fibroids are present then myometrial thickness is increased but endometrial thickness may be normal as in your case.

So, it is possible to have normal endometrial thickness with presence of multiple fibroids.

2. Yes, you may feel tired in this condition due to heaviness of abdomen. If your periods are pretty heavy which is common in this condition, may lead to anemia which also causes tiredness.

So, you have to be examined for presence of anemia.

Treatment of this condition is surgical removal of the fibroids. For this, you should consult with your gynecologist for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 11 minutes later
Are the fibroids what is causing the uterus to be bulky and 15 weeks in size? When you say the uterus is "really" heavy... do you mean mine is really heavy because of it's current condition or all uterus' heavy anyway? My stomach constantly feels bloated like I am constipated. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. Since the uterus is heavy, will I feel lighter after it is removed?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, the fibroids are the reason of the increased size of uterus.

2. I used the term really specifically for your condition. Normally, uterus is smaller than this.

3. Yes, after removal, you will not feel this heaviness. You will feel lighter in your abdomen.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.