Diagnosed with bronchitis. Not cured by ciproflaxacin. Do I have pneumonia or atypical acute bronchitis?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Diagnosed with bronchitis on holiday on 2 January 2013. Given ciproflaxacin antibiotics but they did not work.. Came home and own GP gave me erythromycin ANTIBIOTICS which is helping and OWN GP said I have very bad atypical chest infection, does that mean the infection is in my lungs or pnuemonia or can you have atypical acute bronchitis?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes it is possible that you are having atypical acute bronchitis which has not extended to your lungs to cause pneumonia. With your history of recurrent upper respiratory tract infections and ENT infections boiling down to atypical germ infection is logical. You will require your lungs to be examined by a doctor and a chest x-ray done in order to rule out pneumonia (possibly the atypical aspect of it). You should continue erythromycin ( well indicated for atypical germs). If after completion of treatment you still present with the symtoms, you will have to consult with a pneumologist.

Hope this helps

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 hours later
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I had a chest xray on 2 January 2013 which showed bronchitis. I have also had my chest sounded on 3 different occassions. My condition has improved and I finish my erythromycin in 2 days time. I am still feeling weak and tired which I guess is to be expected, I am not coughing as much and I am no longer producing blood tinged XXXXXXX phlegm and generally feeling better. I spoke with my GP doctor on the telphone today and they said they do not think I have had pnuemonia. My chest is a bit sore sometimes but nothing too severe. With all this in mind do you think I need a follow up appointment with my GP doctor or should it be okay if I am feeling better? Many thanks

Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 41 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Well I see that you are definitely getting better. Normally appointments with your GP has to be scheduled a few days to weeks after you completed your treatment so he can confirm that you have recovered completely. So it is all up to your doctor to decide if he/she still wishes to XXXXXXX you later for check up. Feeling weak or tired after an episode of infection is quite normal. Proper diet, hygiene and environmental condition can improve your health greatly.

Wish you a quick recovery.
Best regards
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan