Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with bcc under breast. Noticed hard lump on lower rib cage. Should I go for chest x-ray?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
Hi, I was dx with bcc under my right breast 5 mos ago and noticed a hard lump on my lower rib cage yesterday and am now concerned because it is on the same side as bcc? Possible mets? Is a chest x-ray or CT warranted? E-mail is WWWWWW@WWWWWWW
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Though basal cell carcinoma considered as most common human malignancy world wide, according to literature metastasis occurs rarely, only around < 0.5%,

Though low we cannot completely rule out the possibility,

as you are having recent history and the consistency of your lump is hard and it is on unilateral side of previous carcinoma, there is chance that your lump may be metastatic basal cell carcinoma to lymph nodes of breast or to lungs etc,

So to rule out this you visit your doctor as early as possible, and undergo CT of the thorax and if needed FNAC(fine needle aspirated cytology) of the node which will possibly detect the nature of the lump and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor