Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

176 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Diagnosed with auditory processing disorder at early stage. Back had herniation and living with pain. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. K. V. Anand


Practicing since :1993

Answered : 6182 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Thank you, I have raised two sons with Auditory Processing Disorder, diagnosed at early age around 4.Both had IEP's and a lot of support through school/college.

First question: about my 27-yr.-old son, who is not taking nor likes medications for his APD. He has difficulties focusing; he works w/ Jim's, his Dad's, consulting firm, and forgets things many times. He is unaware and does not think he still has symptoms of it. I am just now,after being very close as a family, receiving in-put from him,re-buildinging trust w/ him following his questioning of distrust of me,& dis-connects during times of my own family (mom dying, friend's death,moving), crises,as his recollections are somewhat different ( he was 15),we were always vigilent of his care & well-being.He does have a therapist now at his request;he wants me there, too, when I can be, which is great, and he will also have his own private sessions. I have always loved him totally.He feels repressed despite our raising him in loving, safe home(Dad is an MSW!) ,encouraged his self-expression;worked w/ his teachers, and for keeping his self-esteem in small school; he built up trust w/ us through conversations,it is working,and now,he has married his long-standing girlfriend of 7 yrs.,told us, afterward, during our conversations about self-expression.He is defensive,as is she,he defends her emphatically, she does not drive and has no family in U.S.;she is accusatory/blaming us (or me mostly) of many things,needing to be addressed w/ a therapist, when we were very close and loving to her, as her family is in Japan, she was educated Western, as Dad is American,in engineering in military, but no contact w/ them beforehand also.They, our kids,thought we would interfere.I wanted to see that day for 27 yrs., but wouldn't have ever stopped him from doing it his way; is this related to his ADD?

2)Escoteric question:How can we encourage teachers to learn despite their limited education in the field of ADD, ADHD, APD, more, what has been shown and proven to be fact/myth and how to help?
And parents, test early,even privately, as less self consciousness around it, we were with them, IEP in place in kindergarten through college! Success! :)

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:

We understand your concerns.

As you already know so many things about APD, I need not discuss it here. APD does not feature in diagnostic classifications such as the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th Edition (DSM-IV). The American Academy of Audiology notes - APD is diagnosed by difficulties in one or more auditory processes known to reflect the function of the central auditory nervous system.

Your 27 year old child is an independent personality now and he wants to do everything alone, I presume.He is not taking medications because he don't believe that he has these problems, or conveniently forgets it. It is heartening to hear that he wants you with him whenever possible and you are happy to oblige. But there is a negative aspect to this. You cannot be with him always. He is lacking the much needed training in life, to be self sufficient. You are doing everything you can, but sometimes it backfires though not evident in your case as of now.

Now your son is married with his girlfriend. I hope the couple are loving and affectionate to each other. You are showering your care towards your son. Your son's wife also wants to do so to her husband. Your son is in a dilemma. He cannot avoid both. He tries to find a neutral path and this irritates your son's wife and she gets satisfied in blaming you for everything. And also her culture matters.

Now the best thing you can do is (I am sorry) to leave them alone. They should find a way out of their problems. You cannot be at their side always. Your son now has a family and as an entity the family is independent. I know you will be distressed. But there is no other option other than this.

You love your son as well as your daughter in law. Love them and be with them, not near, a bit a way. Watch them. Bless them. Help them if they ask for help. Reiterate you are available nearby. But don't help unless asked for. You want them to be self sufficient.

Your son is with APD for years and he knows how to live with it. He will do so even without your support. Watch him living and be happy.

For the second question. Teachers without ADD, APD knowledge legally should not deal with children of such type. There are separate education and training facilities available. Trained therapists available. It is us who don't recognize this. State has every resources and we fail to understand this. Teachers don't get trained to teach. Teaching ability is innate. Trained teachers always fail to excel. In my opinion, State should not allow such practices.

Over and above, I need not educate you about these facts. You know these things from your 60 year long life experience.You are really wise. ADD and ADHD was there even before psychology and psychotherapy was developed and usually just by home training and life situations, these were went unnoticed. There are two ways:

1. Let them be aware of ADD/ADHD and insist on getting better
2. Treat them with motivation and other therapeutic methods without letting them know.

Both methods are successful if used carefully.

Hope this answers your query. Available for further clarifications.
Good luck. With respect for a man who did everything with love and affection.

Dr. K V Anand

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Dyslexia

doctor1 MD

my son is 4 and a half yr old .he is unable to sit on one place more than 10 minute .he is unable to concentrate also. he easily forgets what has taught. he used to write the letters in a reverse order. difficulty in copying from board.. easily grasps thing whwn heard but difficult to write. having shortsight and astigmatism. underweight and underheight. always restless. is he hyperactive and dyslexia patient . how can we overcome this please help me

doctor1 MD

Ive had a chesty cough & breathing dificulties for 2-3 weeks & I stutter & have speaking diffculties & see & hear things that are not actually there I went to the doctor & they gave me amoxicilian bt my body didnt like it and I had Diarrhoa what is wrong? thankyou

doctor1 MD

My father had a stroke last Jan. he is flying back from the Philippines to New York this June (16 hr flight). Is is safe? i was told that there is a very high risk that he may have another stroke while or right after the trip. i was told that he may never return to NY because of his condition. He can walk with assistance. No paralysis. He just manifests symptoms of both Werneckis and Brocas aphasia. Would appreciate your advice

doctor1 MD

My grandson is 10. He sits in front of his homework for hours. He will rarely do his work independently but mostly he dawdles, looks for distractions..etc... We feel like slaves to his avoidences, I would like something concrete to help him ingage...

doctor1 MD me 4 stammering and stuttering my name is iftikhar and i am 22 yearz old i am a quite brillirant sutudent of business mangement but this stammering effects to my whole confident and potienal very bady. so plsease do tell me what to do to remove it. start of stammering, this start with a high fever for a long time known as typhoid , this was done to me in ma early age of 7 years old.... after taht i started stammering but i wasnt shy or hezitate to speak this was quite noraml ,much controlled stammering, but since these five years i have spent in my hostel life and in university, in this i started tooo much too stutter, then this thing carry onz and i went bad in ths stammering, at present am so much deppresd fellng anxiety and stress whole over me, because i can even not speak my name :iftikhar when anyone asks my name. due this am so much depreessd and almost left evry effort to do someting in ths world. when i am stree , or excited , or my heart beat is high i stammer tooo badlyy tht i cant even produce a heart beat goes like pumping machine at its peak when some one asks my name, and i am very deppred ths y, normalyy i sapeak very fluently, but when i want to give lecture or tell something tht next person dont know i got stuck in stammering. so please read my words propely and tell me what to do....thanks... current new info i can give is that My father called me 3 days back in office for meeting someone he is a principle at Punjab college…..agenda of meeting was to give me some guidance regardinggg higher studies and planning….. As I entered the room he took me outside for a walk to discuss…..but wat I felt as a stutter there u can well imagine…. Dr I was feeling gud frm last 1 month….but may be not bcs sudden meeting with a strange frm last few months Now I am telling you what really happened then… My heart beat start puming fast….its like breathing block….i am feeling short of breath before I speak…. This the major cause of stuttering at that time… I was exicted or nerveousss am not sure really but type of nerveouss….and I even cant tell my university name because it starts from C, comsats….and I was even failed to tell my name….veryyy hardlyyy I trieddd….thennn I was able to complete my short coumunication…. Am very sooon after 4 months I will be joining my father for business, or may I go for higher studies…..and my engagmnet process also has to be started after that… am confused and reluctant nw and disappointed tht how I can manage all these thingsss ….. am feeling lots off burden where I am at such position…. Nervousness Fasten heart beat Shorten breath(feels like I was on race) Stammering stuttering Problem with words, starting from, K,L,M,S,I,F,O…in numbers 6,7,5 thanks

doctor1 MD

I have a problem with words created using letters of different colors. I am red/green colorblind. sometimes I think i have delexia.? Any help? XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

This question may sound strange, but I guess it is never too late. I was born with hydrocephalus way back in 1952. I was operated on at 7 months old, and I have lived a "normal" life. But I have always felt there is something awry with me. So, on...