Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with an ovarian cyst of 37mm, irregular periods. What should I do ?

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
i have been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst of 37mm .the ultrasound states that a persistent adnexal thin walled hypo echoic without periods have not been regular and this is the first time that i have been diagnosed with a cyst .
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 56 minutes later
thanks for the query.

according to your description of the cyst it is appearing as benign cyst,
-size is less than 6 cm,
-thin walled,
-hypo echoic,
-no hyper vasculirisation,
-asymptomatic and diagnosed accidentally.

this type of non-neoplastic enlargement of the ovary usually occurs due to the accumulation of the fluid inside the functional unit of the ovary.
these are called functional cysts.
you cyst can be one of the following,
-follicular cyst,
-corpus luteum cyst,
-endometrial cyst.

these cysts usually occur because of temporary hormonal disorders and they rarely become complicated.

now what you can do is,
-under guidance of your gynecologist, continue treatment for irregular periods,
-follow the cyst for about 3 to 4 months, with checkup by ultrasound at monthly intervals, by this time functional cysts usually regress.

you have to be cautious regarding 'rare' complications that may arise like,
-increase in the size or any doubt arises about its nature during followup or
- intracystic hemorrhage or
-rupture like conditions causing acute abdomen occurs,
you have to consult your doctor immediately and treatment to be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor