Diagnosed with acute hepatitis b. Will this cause any change in menstrual cycle?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi I was diagnosed with acute hepatitis b last month.Is having that can cause changes in my menstrual cycle???
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 15 minutes later
welcome to healthcare magic.
Hepatitis b is a viral disease which affects the liver and can cause liver failure when very severe and can cause failure of calculation and hence increased bleeding. It impairs metabolism of estrogen so irregularity of cycle as well. But if your liver function tests are okay then it is not a cause for irregular menses.
You should visit your gynecologist in that case.
I hope the advise would be helpful for you.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 minutes later
My liver function is not back to normal as far as I know. My period is a week late and pregnancy test is negative
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
If your liver function is deranged then you should undergo an ultrasound whole abdomen to check the liver and also get the serum levels of albumin and get PT test. Consult a gastroenterologist of your locality because acute hepatitis B with significant activity should be treated with antiviral medication. Your menses may be delayed due to this but I would suggest you to get serum beta-hCG levels also which are more sensitive.
Wish you a great health!