Diagnosed with acid reflux. Breath analyser test and endoscopy done. Getting lower abdominal pain. Alternate medicine?

Dr. Aparna Kohli

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello Dr,

I have been diagnosed with Acid re-flux for last 6 months. I have done breath analyser test and also conducted endoscopy; wherein report was normal.

I am under treatment of OMEPRAZOLE 20 Mg, twice before meals. This is from "AstraZeneca"company.

My symptoms were heart burn, burping, nausea feeling & pain in stomach.

It's been 10 days; after treatment; the effects have reduced. Now experiencing only slight pain in lower abdomen and nausea.

How long do i continue to take the medication so that i am completely cured?

Any alternate medication; do i need to do?

regards,
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Your query has been sent to Dr XXXXXXX and he is working on it. I would request you to bear with us for some more time till we get your query answered by him. Once he answers it, your answer will be visible on your dashboard
Till then, about your questions:
You're currently taking the right medication. This can be taken for 6 weeks to start with. Unfortunately, there is no complete cure for this problem. Some people get symptoms frequently and some would get it infrequently after that. At this stage, the medication can be taken whenever the symptoms arise.
In addition, a prokinetic agent like domperidone may also be added for further relief. Since this isa prescription drug, please speak with your physician about this.
In addition, the following lifestyle changes need to be made:
a.     Avoid excessive spicy food, tea/coffee and non-vegetarian items
b.     Sleep with your head elevated by 2 pillows at night time
c.     Eat small, frequent meals
d.     Have an early dinner. Eat atleast 2 hours before sleeping
Hope this helps

Follow up: Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Is XXXXXXX Tea Ok to consume?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
You can take XXXXXXX tea but in restricted amounts only. It has caffeine which can worsen your problem.