Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency. Taking neurobian forte. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 2094 Questions
I have been diagnosed with a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I consume diary products, egg and meat (chicken) on a daily basis. So I am curious on finding out what could caused this deficiency.

I have been prescribed Neurobian Forte (1 per day) for 2 months afterwhich I have been asked to take a repeat test. I would like to know if this is sufficient or is there any other tests that I would need to take apart from the repeat test.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 26 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern,
You are right as you are taking good sources of vitamin B12 in diet and still you have deficiency of B12.
Please understand physiology of this vitamin B12 is complex and requires normal functioning of stomach, exocrine pancreas, small intestine and special factor called Intrinsic factor. Any problem with any one of these may cause deficiency.
For example deficiency of intrinsic factor in Pernicious anemia, Intake of alcohol or some drugs may be reason in many cases.
Malabsorption syndromes can also cause such a situation where we have to treat patient by injectable route.
There are many tests but if deficiency is mild, with oral supplements you will recover fast, do not worry.
If problem persists then B12 injection is another treatment option and requirement is very less may be once every 3 month.
If you do not have any other symptoms, there is no need to get any other tests done.
Hope this helps you to understand the problem. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency. Taking neurobian forte. Underlying cause? 27 minutes later
Thank you. So I would be taking these supplements until the levels are normalized or would I be required to take it life-long?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 24 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

You have to take supplementation to keep optimal level of Vitamin.
Once level is achieved, we replenish body stores. Further advice depends on cause - if cause can be identified and removed or treated only diet may be sufficient to maintain normal level.

There are two situations
- If oral treatment works and no malabsorption is there, we may stop oral supplements.
- If parental treatment is required then injection of B12 may be required to maintain normal level may be quarterly or yearly basis.

Hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer and close this discussion.
If you have any doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor