Diagnosed with a vitamin B12 deficiency. Taking neurobian forte. Underlying cause?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Vitamins
Question: I have been diagnosed with a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I consume diary products, egg and meat (chicken) on a daily basis. So I am curious on finding out what could caused this deficiency.

I have been prescribed Neurobian Forte (1 per day) for 2 months afterwhich I have been asked to take a repeat test. I would like to know if this is sufficient or is there any other tests that I would need to take apart from the repeat test.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 26 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sharing your concern,
You are right as you are taking good sources of vitamin B12 in diet and still you have deficiency of B12.
Please understand physiology of this vitamin B12 is complex and requires normal functioning of stomach, exocrine pancreas, small intestine and special factor called Intrinsic factor. Any problem with any one of these may cause deficiency.
For example deficiency of intrinsic factor in Pernicious anemia, Intake of alcohol or some drugs may be reason in many cases.
Malabsorption syndromes can also cause such a situation where we have to treat patient by injectable route.
There are many tests but if deficiency is mild, with oral supplements you will recover fast, do not worry.
If problem persists then B12 injection is another treatment option and requirement is very less may be once every 3 month.
If you do not have any other symptoms, there is no need to get any other tests done.
Hope this helps you to understand the problem. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 27 minutes later
Thank you. So I would be taking these supplements until the levels are normalized or would I be required to take it life-long?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your follow up.

You have to take supplementation to keep optimal level of Vitamin.
Once level is achieved, we replenish body stores. Further advice depends on cause - if cause can be identified and removed or treated only diet may be sufficient to maintain normal level.

There are two situations
- If oral treatment works and no malabsorption is there, we may stop oral supplements.
- If parental treatment is required then injection of B12 may be required to maintain normal level may be quarterly or yearly basis.

Hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer and close this discussion.
If you have any doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad