Diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder. Am I feeling weak due to anxiety?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Left side weaknesshi i ama 27 year old female i am 5'6 and weigh 320 i was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder. since then i have had ekgs blood work cat scan electrocardiograms and all normal but the left side of my body is still really weak can this be cause by anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

As per your description, you have left-sided weakness. However, all your tests including CAT scan are normal. This is very reassuring and there is no need to worry.

Anxiety can cause left-sided weakness, but I would prefer you undergoing an MRI scan, before we finally conclude that your weakness is due to anxiety.

So, please get MRI scan of brain and spinal cord, after discussing with your doctor.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad