Diagnosed with a fatty liver and experiencing constipation. Are they related?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Constipation
Question: Hello, I was recently diagnosed with a fatty liver within the last few days...At first my bowel movements were fairly soft- not quite diarrhea and now since I have been eating more fiber I have been experiencing constipation. Could this all be related to the fatty liver . Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

No – this is unlikely to be related to the fatty liver.
More fibre and less fluid intake could be contributing.
If it persists, you should see your gastro-enterologist (hepatologist) again.
You may need investigations – especially colonoscopy.

Are the lipids normal? Is the Liver function normal? – You may have to repeat them as also the ultrasound, for follow up, in about six months.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 12 hours later
Thank you doctor. My liver panal was normal. The ultrasound test said liver mildly enlarged with coarse attenutating paracheyma (sp?) The impression was hepatomegoly statosis. Can you explain more about this condition? I am losing weight and committed to healthy eating going forward to reverse this..Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi

Steatosis is a medical jargon for fat accumulation, in the cells.
There is nothing serious if your liver function (blood tests) is normal.
If your lipid panel is normal; if you eat healthy diet and reduce your weight, this could also reduce and disappear with time. Alcohol must be avoided for ever.
Repeating the ultrasound scan and liver panel after about six months is advisable

All the best