Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with UTI. Feeling freezing cold and lower back pain. Noticed blood in urine. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
Hey so I came down with a uti. I bought some azo tablets and have been taking them along with lots of cranberry juice. It was feeling a ton better this morning and thought I was getting better. Then I got rePly tired and decided to take. Nap. I ended up getting the chills extremely bAd to the point where I was shivering and freezing cold even though I had 5 thick blankets on. And my lower back on the left side hurts. I'm thinking it'd my left kidney that is bothering me so much. I'm at the point where I just want to cry because I'm in pain. Also when I used the bathroom I noticed some blood. On top of that all the clinics are closed for the night except for the er and I don't have insurence. I'm supposed to go to an amusement park in the morning up in the cities and am wondering if you could givee some tips and/ or other home remadies to try. Also I was wondering if I could wait and go to the doctor on Monday or if it is crucial I go to the er. Thanks in advance for the help.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of a results in infection, inflammation, stones or injury to the urinary system.
The treatment of this would involve the following:
a. Drink plenty of fluids
b. Cranberry juice has been shown to be useful in fighting this infection.
c. You can take a urine alkalinizing agent like disodium hydrogen citrate
d. You would also need a course of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. However, it would be best if we get a urine culture and sensitivity done in order to identify the bacterium and know which antibiotic it is susceptible to.
Since these are prescription drugs, I would suggest you see your physician for the same. With this treatment, I think you should be good in about 1 week.
Since you are having an acute pain in the renal area, attending an ER for management is recommended.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor