Diagnosed with TIA the day after root canal treatment. Could the bleeding around the gums have caused this?

Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Stroke
Question: I had a root canal, and it seemed like there was excessive damage to my gums. The next day I had what was diagnosed as a TIA. Could the bleeding around the gums have caused this? My gums are in generally good health, and don't bleed with tooth cleaning and maintenance cleaning.
Answered by Dr. Hari Om Chandrakar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: TIA might be due to clot in vessels. Detailed Answer: Hi, I had gone through your query and understand your concerns. You had been diagnosed with TIA just the day after when u had root canal treatment. There are cases reported of TIA after root canal treatment, which is due to dis-lodgement of the clotted blood in brain vessels, the source of which can't be traced down ! In most of cases the high pressure jet in dental equipments may cause movement of thrombus(clot) inside the arteries/veins of the gum, which may direct the clot to brain leading to TIA. You are also hereby advised to have a ECG done of your heart to rule out any rhythm anomalies which can also cause thrombus (clot) to reach to brain from heart, as rhythm abnormalities are mostly seen in 60's and 70's ! Till then you are advised to have low dose aspirin and other clot dissolving meds to prevent any further brain attacks. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Dr Hari Om Chandrakar MBBS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T