Diagnosed with TB. On forecox and pantop D. Feeling acidity and itching. What should be done?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi my wife age-33, weight 48 kgs was diagnosed with TB, we conducted Xray chest and skin test (came positive) she started with 2 tabs of forecox along with pantop D. After taking dosage for 17 days she missed out on 2 days dosage due to very severe acidity. I want to know are there implication of missed dosage. Along with this she is have very bad itching all over body. She is feeding to our 8 months old baby as well my doc says its fine to feed, is it really so?
how can we minimize effects on liver, can it affect baby's liver also.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 49 minutes later
Hi.

She is recently diagnosed to have pulmonary TB and it is important to take anti tubercular medicines regularly for initial 2 month then your dose may be reduced.

There will not be any problem because of missed dose but hope at present she is taking anti TB drugs regularly. As far as possible dose should not be missed. The implications are hard if you miss too many doses like drug resistance.

Take Tab Pantop-D before taking Anti TB drugs which will prevent acidity. Anti TB drugs are safe in nursing mothers they are secreted in milk in very low amount. You should keep a watch if she develops jaundice report to treating doctor; we need to stop some drugs.

As they are safe during lactation baby liver is not affected.

Hope I have answered your query if you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 25 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your reply, gives a lot of clarity. She has resumed dosage now, I was just afraid about the itching on her body it is sever. Also if you could guide about other side effects of forecox so that we are clear what is noraml and what needs attention. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 46 minutes later
Thanks for your reply,
If itching is tolerable she may be helped by antihistaminic tab (Common anti allergic tab).
If it is very severe then even drugs may have to be stopped for some time in consultation of treating doctor and then may be given separately one by one to see which drug is causing Itching.
Sometime Isoniazid component can produce neuropathy which can be treated by addition of Pyridoxin vitamin.
Ethambutol component can cause visual problems keep a watch.
Rifampicin component can cause Jaundice so as Isonizid and Pyrazinamide.
Pyrazinamide component can cause joint pain and rise in uric acid level.
This information should help you and if you have any query left, I will be available to answer that.
Regards.