Diagnosed with PCOS. Taking modus 10mg. Will I get pregnant normally?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
Im 23 yrs old. My periods used to be normal but suddenly i didnt get my periods for around 2 months so i consulted my Gyno.. She did ultrasound scan on my uterus and said PCOS. Also she suggested me to take Modus 10 mg tablets for 5 days each one @ night. But during my 2nd day itself i got my periods so my doctor advised me to stop using it. Then I went for a blood test during 3rd day of the period and they tested me for FSH, TSH, LH & Prolactin. And all the levels were normal. So my doctor advised me to reduce my weight (Im now130 lbs & 5ft 2Inches tall). So i went on for exercising and consumed more fruits. But again my periods got delayed by 7 days. So much worried now. Would my periods be normal again and Will i be able to get pregnant normally??
PN: I eat very moderate and healthy. I workout daily 20 mins on ellipticals.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query on this portal.

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common female endocrine disorders. Its causes are uncertain.

Its main problem is anovulation ( inability to produce a mature egg each cycle ), irregular menstruation, amenorrhea, difficulty in conceiving due to lack of ovulation and typical USG appearance. Added problems are excessive amounts or effects of androgenic hormones, resulting in acne and hirsutism and insulin resistance, often associated with obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol levels.

IF your hormonal tests were normal, you do not have a severe form of PCOS. But you need some more evaluation in the form of adrenal hormones, glucose tolerance test, serum prolactin levels, free testosterone levels, lipid profile etc.

Where PCOS is associated with overweight or obesity, successful weight loss is the most effective method of restoring normal ovulation/menstruation. Low-carbohydrate diets and sustained regular exercise is the key. Try to consume a low GI diet in which a significant part of total carbohydrates are obtained from fruit, vegetables and whole grain sources. Vitamin D supplementation is essential. Also, have small frequent meals, with good protein content and heart - healthy fats, and avoid binge eating, or staying hungry for prolonged periods. Your BMI falls within the normal level, but sometimes, body fat composition also is responsible for PCOS. Even 5 % weight loss can regulate your menstrual cycle. Aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes for at least 4 days a week is recommended.

If the symptoms are not controlled by weight loss and lifestyle management, you might need medications to reduce insulin resistance such as Metformin.

Not all women with PCOS have difficulty becoming pregnant. For those who do, anovulation or infrequent ovulation is a common cause. Various medical and surgical options are available to manage PCOS related infertility.

Please do not panic or worry, as stress aggravates all aspects of PCOS. With proper guidance of an endocrinologist and your gynecologist, it is possible to have normal periods as well as to conceive.

Take care and feel free to ask for clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E